Citizens from EU/EEA

Nordic nationals

Nationals of: Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Finland can start working in Norway without registering with the police/the UDI. All they need to do is notify the Population Register of their change of address.


Other EU/EEA nationals 

Nationals of other countries who are defined as EU/EEA nationals:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.


All EU/EEA nationals are entitled to move to Norway and start working immediately. The employee must present a passport or national identity card to confirm that he/she is an EU/EEA national. The employee must register with the police no later than three months after arriving in Norway.

EU/EEA nationals are free to change jobs and can have one or several employers.


Hiring a person who has not registered with the police yet

Once the employee is offered a job, he/she must be issued an employment certificate for EU/EEA nationals or an employment contract from the employer. This must be presented to the police upon registration. The employee must do this him/herself through the UDI’s Application Portal.


By agreement, the employer can help the employee enter his/her information in the Application Portal and, if relevant, schedule an appointment with the police, but the employee must always go to the police in person.

In such cases, the employee must give the employer written authorisation.


The employer is obliged to check the employee’s registration certificate.


Hiring a person who has already registered with the police

If the employee is already registered with the police, the employer must see the registration certificate, and the employee can, in such case, start working immediately and does not need to register again.